Information: Hunting Island State Park & Friends Website
HUNTING ISLAND STATE PARK FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Park Admittance Fees: $5 Adults 16+; $3.25 Seniors SC residents 65+; $3.00 Youth 6 to 15 years; Under 6 free. Information 843-838-2011.
How far to Hunting Island from downtown Beaufort? 16 miles
What are the hours the park is open? Open year round. Standard Time: 6:00 AM – 6:00 PM. Daylight Savings Time: 6:00 AM – 9:00PM.
What is the cost to enter the park? Adults: $5; Senior SC residents 65+: $3.25; Youth 6-15 years: $3.00; Under 6 — FREE.
What is the discount policy for Senior Citizens, Blind & Disabled citizens?
South Carolina residents who are at least 65 years of age, legally blind or disabled, qualify for certain rate reductions. Proof of age or disability is required.
Qualifying residents receive 35% off admission fees, camping, picnic shelters, and fishing pier admission.
Qualifying residents may purchase a Palmetto Passport for $37.50 (50% off) for admission to all state parks for the period of one year.
There are NO rate reductions for lodging, leased facilities, resale items or equipment rentals.
Does the park have handicap facilities? Yes - ADA campsites, accessible restroom, beach access mats & two free loaner beach wheelchairs available (inquire at park stores or lighthouse).
Are pets allowed at the park? Yes, must be on a leash no longer than 6' at all times. Pets are not allowed on fishing pier or in or around lodging facilities.
Lighthouse hours? Daylight Savings Time: 10:00 AM – 4:45 PM. Standard Time: 10:00 AM – 3:45 PM.
Is there a fee to climb the lighthouse? $2 per person.
Latest time you can climb the lighthouse? Daylight Savings Time: Before 4:45 PM. Standard Time: Before 3:45 PM.
Are there limitations on who can climb? Must be 44" tall.
Nature Center hours? 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Monday thru Saturday - Memorial Day through Labor Day. Off season - Closed SUNDAY & MONDAY.
Hours Fishing Pier is open & is there a usage fee? Open 24 hours - Park Admission fee applies.
Are there hiking & biking trails at the park? Yes, 8.5 miles of trails through a sub tropical maritime forest with a 2.3 mile mountain bike trail.
Are there equestrian trails at the park? No trails, only on the beach from Dec. - Feb. (Load/unload at South beach parking lot only)
How many campground sites? 193 Camping Fees? Up to $26.00 per night
How to reserve a campsite? Call: (866) 345-7275 or use http://southcarolinaparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/Hunting_Island. Reservations requested less than one (1) day in advance of check-in must be made directly (843)838-2011.
Are there rental cabins? Only the Lighthouse cabin - State owned. How to rent the cabin? Call (866)345-7275 or http://southcarolinaparks.reserveamerica.com. Reservations requested LESS THAN three (3) days in advance of check-in must be made directly through the park (843)838-2011.
Are weddings allowed at the park? Yes — Call (843) 838-4868 park office to make arrangements.
Here I am, taking a picture for this page... Cyndi Follrich, Webwitch
- 150anniv.html: Page for the 150th Lighthouse Anniversary Celebration, October 2009
- 20years.html: Page for the 20th Anniversary Event for Friends of Hunting Island, TBA 2013
- about.html: About Friends, awards, & Board of Directors and committees
- access.html: Accessibility & ADA conveniences at the Park to better serve Americans with Disabilities
- attract.html: Attractions in general, links, & St Park camping links
- beaches.html: Atlantic ocean sands, erosion, renourishment info
- cgi-bin/calendar.pl: Event calendar edited by our Vice President & Park staff
- constr.html: Our Construction projects page; in process, completed, and planned.
- discarolina.html: Discover Carolina education for elementary school children by the Friends & Park
- docs.html: Download & links to reports and documents important to FOHI
- education.html: Education and awareness projects for the community, schools, FOHI & outside events
- environment.html: Environment enhancement by FOHI & the Park
- events.html: On-going and special events for the FOHI & the Park
- finance.html: Treasurer reports, public tax-status information, etc.
- fohinfo.html: State Park FAQ & Sitemap (you are here)
- himap.html: Maps, directions to Hunting Island, links to other maps
- index.html: Main home page, mission, links to headlines & projects
- interp.html: Interpretive programs & events scheduled at the State Park
- join.html: How to join the Friends & Turtle Patrol
- license.html: Info on our special DMV license plate fundraising
- lighthouse.html: All things Lighthouse: history, conservation, restoration, & grounds
- links.html: All our links to resources & special friends collected together in one place
- litter.html: Trash & litter control; the page we wish we could delete
- marshbdwk.html: My favorite retreat; a walk into the marsh
- members.html: Board, Committee, & Member information. Login links to protected folders.
- merch.html: Merchandise, mementos, & fundraisers go together, order here!
- natrctr.html: The Nature Center & Fishing Pier, education & fun
- news.html: Reports on the outcome of events & links to articles
- newslet.html: Information & PDF copies of the Loggerhead Log, our quarterly newsletter
- oldnews.html: News archives
- oyster.html: SCORE Oyster Reef building project
- photos.html: Photo galleries, come see our Park!
- plunge.html: So you want to jump in the ocean in January? Pelican Plunge!
- rangers.html: Introducing your State Park Rangers & Staff
- redbaydie.html: Information & links on the Red Bay die off
- run.html: Our annual 5K Run/Walk event celebrating our maritime forest trail system
- sands.html: Sand Sculpture Contest; every summer on the beach!
- seaoats.html: Dune restoration. Sea oats & sand fencing, read about it!
- talking.html: Talking Trash; blog page for the Litter Control Committee
- tide.html: Frame page linking to a USC biology dept. tide program
- trails.html: Hunting Island trails & trail projects
- turtle2006.html: Photos & reports on 2006 Loggerhead turtle nests
- turtle2007.html: Photos & reports on 2007 Loggerhead turtle nests
- turtle2008.html: Photos & reports on 2008 Loggerhead turtle nests
- turtle2009.html: Photos & reports on 2009 Loggerhead turtle nests
- turtle2010.html: Photos & reports on 2010 Loggerhead turtle nests
- turtle2011.html: Photos & reports on 2011 Loggerhead turtle nests
- turtle2012.html: Photos & reports on 2012 Loggerhead turtle nests
- turtleblog2.html: Blog page for the current nesting seasons
- turtlehist.html: Statistics from past years' nesting seasons
- turtleinfo.html: About Loggerhead Sea Turtles, Caretta caretta
- turtleord.html: About the Beaufort County Lights Out Ordinance
- turtles.html: About Sea Turtles Rescue programt
- visitorctr.html: The Park Visitor Center welcomes you to the Park